Dual Degrees

Dual Degrees 2016-08-05T01:43:50+00:00

Several dual degree options are available between Urban Affairs and Planning (UAP) and other disciplines. At Virginia Tech they are called “simultaneous” degrees because students earn them simultaneously. Presently, simultaneous degrees exist between the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) and Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA), Master of Public Administration (MPA), and Master of Natural Resources (MNR) degrees. Talk to your advisor to see if a dual degree fits your academic and professional goals.

General Requirements and Process

  • Simultaneous degree students must be admitted to both programs following the admissions procedures in each.
  • Students may apply for admission to both programs before enrolling in either, or they may apply after first being admitted to and enrolling in one. In the latter case, application to the second program should be made before half the coursework in the first has been completed.
  • Following university guidelines, the capstone product required of each program will remain in effect. However, it is recognized that the capstone product for both may bridge the fields of each degree.
  • Both degrees must be earned simultaneously although a student could opt out of one degree program to receive the other masters degree provided requirements of that degree are fulfilled.
  • All grades earned in dual degree status are used for purposes of determining academic good standing, academic probation and graduate requirements.
  • Students must be in good standing in both programs to continue in a simultaneous degree program. Students who are dismissed from either program are no longer considered to be in a dual degree program. These students may enroll in and use courses for credit toward the degree program in which they are in good standing only. Students may not take courses in the program from which they have been dismissed and may not use such courses for dual degree credit.

If you are interested in this option, please email uapvt@vt.edu for Blacksburg and UAPAlexandria@vt.edu for Alexandria. Your advisor can also provide assistance.